23 March 2007

Friday Five:Rivers in the Desert

I found a community on the web called RevGalBlogPals. There are some great posts and it is a network of awesome people. Today is FridayFive day. I haven't done anything like this is such a very long time!

I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19, NRSV

As we near the end of the long journey toward Easter, a busy time for pastors and layfolk alike, I ponder the words of Isaiah and the relief and refreshment of a river in the desert.

For this Friday Five, name five practices, activities, people or _____ (feel free to fill in something I may be forgetting) that for you are rivers in the desert.


1. Singing. I turn on my iTunes on my computer and just pick songs to sing, pretending like I'm some big star. An hour of that and I'm totally refreshed, renewed and ready for whatever comes next. I'm also known to do this in the car.

2. Driving. Not ecologically sound (though I do drive a Honda), I love to just get in my car and get lost in the country. Once I ended up in Pennsylvania with no reasonable idea of how to get home. It was awesome.

3. Camping. Getting away by a lake with a stack of books, a campfire and the stars -- I know I can face the world again.

4. Prayer. A little prayer in the middle of a rotten day can make all the difference.

5. Communion. When I have Communion, I really feel like I am a part of something and I leave the church with a sense that I matter to both God and my faith community. It lifts me up till the next time I see them again.

No comments: