08 January 2007

Alone on the Prairie

I work in Customer Service for a technology company. I work from home. For about half the day I answer questions by email from users of our products. For the other half, my boss gives me a list of things to do, like write to do articles, do research on our users, or other stuff. My boss and I don't get along. We have a very different approach to writing and customer service in general. Actually, everything was going pretty well until they hired the other person on my team who is practically perfect in everyway. That coincided with my husband leaving me and my subsequent several weeks of living in a fog. Yeah, it affected my job performance. But you'd maybe think there'd be some compassion. No. Decidedly no compassion. For anything. Ever. My dad had surgery, no one asked how he was doing. I left work early one day to go to the ER with an asthma attack -- not one word. I got bronchitis -- no hope you feel better.

So I know I'm just a body.

Over Christmas the boss was gone so we had to make our own To Do lists. No biggie, I muddled through, got a lot accomplished. Now it's after Christmas, the boss is back... and I'm still making my To Do lists. My cohort is not. I am trying desperately to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. Is it me or is that just weird?

No comments: